There is a terrible war going on in Ukraine, millions of people have fled the country. Ukrainians are looking for shelter, also in Amsterdam. De Regenboog Groep is providing shelter for them in various locations. With a team of employees and volunteers, we are ready to welcome the refugees in this difficult and emotional time.
Often they have had a long journey and had to leave their family, friends and animals behind, as well as their belongings. Some of them have experienced sad and traumatic events. Here in Amsterdam they have to find their way in the city itself, but also in the regulations, which is hard if you don´t speak the language.
We are looking for people who want to help as a buddy, as an LGBT+ buddy or as a hands-on volunteer in the shelter.
Volunteer as a buddy or LGBT+ buddy - what are the tasks?
- Most importantly you will be a big support to the person you are linked to.
- You can help your buddy to get to know the city better.
- You provide information and advice and help with requesting documents and other administrative matters.
- You can help your buddy by teaching / practicing the Dutch or English language, which is useful for building up a social network, study or find a job.
We are also looking for buddies for the group of LGBT+ refugees. You are connected to the LGBT+ community in Amsterdam and you can introduce your buddy in the community.
Volunteer in the shelter - what are the tasks?
The activities in the shelter vary: from translating, making an appointment for the doctor or vet, sorting the incoming food and clothes to having a chat with the residents. At some locations you can help to prepare breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.
For both kinds of volunteer work (as a buddy or in the shelter) - what kind of knowledge or skills are needed?
- You speak Dutch and/or English and also Ukrainian or Russian;
- You don't judge nor discriminate and you are open-minded;
- You are patient and don´t give up easily;
- You are a good listener and you have a stable personality;
- You are older than 18 years;
- You are available for a few hours a week or every two weeks;
De Regenboog Groep is affiliated with De Vrijwilligersacademie (Volunteer Academy). As a volunteer you have free access to the complete offer of trainings and courses.
What do you get in return?
- Professional guidance;
- A volunteer fee of max. 9 euros for each activity with your buddy;
- You really make a difference in someone else's life!
- Free access to the full training offer of De Vrijwilligersacademie.
For buddies: you meet with your buddy for half a day every week, after a while this can also be every 2 weeks.
In the shelter there are the following shifts:
How do you apply?
Sign up by clicking on the orange button below and we will contact you as soon as possible.
We will then schedule an informal meeting or call with you.
Please indicate clearly which of the three volunteer jobs you are signing up for: regular buddy, LGBT+ buddy or hand-on volunteer in the shelter.