There is a terrible war going on in Ukraine, millions of people have fled the country. Ukrainians are looking for shelter, also in Amsterdam. De Regenboog Groep is providing shelter for them in various locations. With a team of employees and volunteers, we are ready to welcome the refugees in this difficult and emotional time.
We are looking for people who want to help as a buddy, as an LGBT+ buddy or as a hands-on volunteer in the shelter. The refugees have to find their way in the city itself, but also in the regulations, which is hard if you do not speak the language.
Volunteer as a (LGBT+) buddy - what are the tasks?
- Most importantly you will be a big support to the person you are linked to.
- You can help your buddy to get to know the city better.
- You provide information and advice and help with requesting documents and other administrative matters.
- You can help your buddy by teaching / practicing the Dutch or English language, which is useful for building up a social network, study or find a job.
We are also looking for buddies for the group of LGBT+ refugees. You are connected to the LGBT+ community in Amsterdam and you can introduce your buddy in the community.
Volunteer in the shelter - what are the tasks?
The activities in the shelter vary: from translating, making an appointment for the doctor or vet, sorting the incoming food and clothes to having a chat with the residents. At some locations you can help to prepare breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.
The shelter has a children's play area where the refugee children can play. As an activity supervisor you come up with fun games or creative projects to do with the children. You do this together with the parents, so you certainly do not have the responsibility alone.
You could also teach English. English lessons are given to the refugees at various locations.
For both kinds of volunteer work (as a buddy or in the shelter) - what kind of knowledge or skills are needed?
- You speak Dutch and/or English and also Ukrainian or Russian;
- You don't judge nor discriminate and you are open-minded;
- You are patient and don´t give up easily;
- You are a good listener and you have a stable personality;
- You are older than 18 years;
- You are available for a few hours a week or every two weeks;
De Regenboog Groep is affiliated with De Vrijwilligersacademie (Volunteer Academy). As a volunteer you have free access to the complete offer of trainings and courses.
What do you get in return?
- Professional guidance;
- A volunteer fee of max. 9 euros for each activity with your buddy;
- You really make a difference in someone else's life!
- Free access to the full training offer of De Vrijwilligersacademie.
For buddies: you meet with your buddy for half a day every week, after a while this can also be every 2 weeks.
In the shelter there are are different shifts (4 hours) in the morning, afternoon and evening.
Help find shelther for their pets
Pets can not stay in the shelter. We are looking for host families for them. You can help as a volunteer in two ways:
- Volunteer Inventory host families As a volunteer in this role you work from home and you make sure that the inventory of the potential host families is done. You will do this by phone in order to make a perfect match between the host family and pet.
- Volunteer Matching As a volunteer in this role you work from home and you ensure a perfect match between a host family and the Ukrainian refugee(s) with their pet(s).
More info and registration via: https://www.hulpvoordierenuitoekraine.nl/nl/vacatures/
How do you apply?
Would you like to volunteer as a buddy or in the shelter? Please sign up by clicking on the orange button below and we will contact you as soon as possible.